Saturday, July 18, 2009

Personal Rule of Life

I'm currently taking classes at A.W. Tozer Theological Seminary to complete my Master of Divinity and I had to write a "personal rule of life" for my Christian Spiritual Formation Class. I thought I would share it:

1. An early morning walk with God (Mark 1:35)
2. Daily Scripture reading and reflection (Psalm 1:2)
3. A personal prayer & fasting retreat every six months (Mark 6:31)
4. Pray continuously throughout the day, recognizing God’s constant presence (1 Thess. 5:17)
5. A humble attentiveness to the needs of others; no tolerance for personal arrogance (Philippians 2:3,4)
6. In daily interactions, open my mouth to encourage others with the good news of Jesus (1 Peter 3:15)
7. Rejoice in the wife of my youth and be ever captivated by her love (Proverbs 5:18,19)
8. Teach my children, with my life and my lips, the ways of the Lord (Deuteronomy 6:7)
9. In my work/ministry, I will be prayerful dependent upon the Lord to direct my paths (Psalm 127:1; Proverbs 3:6)
10. I will not love money. I will share the resources God gives. I will live in the freedom of simplicity. (Luke 12:15)
11. I will invest in a community of Christ followers where I can spur others on and be spurred on by others toward love and good deeds. (Hebrews 10:24, 25)
12. I will be a contributing member in my neighborhood (outside of my church community), walking with and serving those who do not know the love of Jesus yet (Matthew 5:13-16)
13. I will strive to be a man of character and integrity in every area of my life, inviting God to renovate my heart each day (Proverbs 10:9)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. And inspiring.

Kristin said...

Hi Travis. I loved reading this. This has encouraged me to do the same thing, to go through the Lord's word and create a rule for my own life on His values to use daily. Thank you for sharing and always being encouraging!

Kiki "I-Bet-You-Didn't-Know-I-Read-This" Kelley