Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Here's something to pray for...

(this picture is from our first night at the New Grove Property...we stuffed as many freshmen as we could in front of the camera. You'll notice a couple of our seniors snuck in the center of the picture)
I want to give a brief update on what God is doing in our lives. It has been almost 8 months since we left The Overflow at The Grove. We have had plenty of time to rest and be refreshed. A few months ago, we started looking into some possible ministry opportunities around the country. Some of these are AMAZING churches and everything looked good on paper...but we simply had NO PEACE about joining any of them. As I talked with the leaders from these churches, I felt like I was breaking up with an old girlfriend because all I could say was, "It's not you...it's me." The only thing we were sure of was that it wasn't time to leave Felton yet.
We love the church we are at right now (Vintage Faith). Two weeks ago, I decided that it was time for me to get back into the lives of young people, so I decided to contact the youth director at our church and be a volunteer leader. I showed up that night for youth group and to my surprise...it was his last night as the youth director. (OK, God...what are YOU doing??).
Since then, we've been in communication with the leadership at the church about leading the youth group during this time. They are in need of someone to be a volunteer youth director for the next few months as they figure out what to do next. Annette and I told them we would like to be considered for the volunteer spot. This is how we see it: The local church we love and are a part of has a need...and that need just happens to be an area that I am passionate about, have previous experience in, and just at the time that I was ready to jump back in to that area.
The most important thing is that we feel God's peace with this opportunity. (Isn't it funny how we did NOT have peace with the jobs that would pay us full time but we DO have peace about a position that isn't paid and keeps me working at Starbucks?).
We are EXCITED to be in a place where we are needed. We are EXPECTANT of God to do His mighty work in the lives of these teenagers. And we are ANXIOUS about starting all over again (will they love us? will we love them? are they as awesome as Riverside kids?).
Will you please pray for us and the young people we will be ministering to? I am meeting some of the youth ministry leaders tomorrow night and staying for the youth group. I just hope they like 34 year olds...

7 comments:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

How could they *not* like a 34 year old who happens to be the world's best-looking former high school pastor of the Grove who God had other plans for? They have NO idea what they are getting into.....

Of course I'll pray. Love to you and the family.

escamillaweddings said...

i don't know if it is because im paying more attention or if God is currently moving around more in the lives of those i know but either way it is so encouraging to have those people be constant examples of seeking and listening for God's voice.

i miss you and your wife.

know that you will be in my prayers as well.

peace out holmes.

TheEpicBeat said...

Trav, go meet Aaron...I think you guys might have something kindred.
Paste this in and check it out.
http://aaronivey.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/the-same-conversationtwiceand-more-on-the-way/

Aaron Ivey said...

hey man... Adam sent me over to your site. he said we should be friends. so, friends we are. dude, loved this post about serving your local church. what a great opportunity. really cool stuff dude. looking forward to reading more.. peace.

MamaSue said...

Trav, I have a knot in my stomach right now because I am so excited about this. You are incredible, and Annette is incredible, and your kids are incredible, and of COURSE we will be smothering you in prayer!

Mamadebrick said...

My prayers are with you, Annette ,the Fam, and your situation. I pray for your church and the impact that you can have. God has such a plan for you, let him work it.

jess mac said...

We are praying. Anything you give your heart to will be impactful. You are such an honest seeker of His will. It is very apparent in your life.