Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A hospital visit with my friend David...

Today I had the privilege to drive to Palo Alto to visit with my friend David Huddleston. He is in the Veterans Hospital right now with a TBI (traumatic brain injury) that he suffered while in Turkey with the Air Force. Man, it was sure good to see him. David isn't able to speak (yet) and he slept through most of my visit with him today...he has been uncomfortable at night so he doesn't get much sleep. It's OK because I'm used to young people sleeping when I start talking!
David was in my youth group back in Riverside. He is one of the greatest guys you will ever meet. We would go snowboarding together with a couple of the other guys and gals from The Grove.
I am so impressed by David's parents, Patty and Steve. They have been at his side this whole time (about 6 weeks now). The recovery that David experiences will be largely due to his parents and the tireless care they are giving him. They have him pointing at things, shaving his head and face, pointing to words on a chalkboard, and even communicating when he needs to go to the bathroom!
As I think of my visit with David today, I realize that after I heard about his accident, all I wanted to do was to SEE David and to be WITH him. I didn't have the greatest words to say...but it wasn't about my words...it was all about being NEAR my friend who is hurting right now. It sure was good to see my friend today...

No comments: