Saturday, August 9, 2008

Simpson University, here we come!

If you haven't heard, we have some BIG news. I have accepted a position at Simpson University as the Director of Campus Ministries! Annette and I have been praying about this position for over four months now. We are so excited. We sense God's peace and passion in this move. I will have the opportunity to pace with and lead college students in their walk with Jesus Christ. I'll work to develop discipleship groups and spiritual growth retreats. I'll have a hand in chapels with a few speaking opportunities. I will also be able to get my Masters of Divinity at Tozer Theological Seminary these next few years.
We found a wonderful 3 bedroom house with laminate flooring and plenty of yard space in front and back. It is 1/2 mile from the University. When we called to inquire, we found out that the owner and I went to Simpson together in 1994 (Troy Jacobson). He is a pastor at a church just below San Francisco, so we met together today to iron out the details.
It is very difficult to leave Vintage Faith Church and Annette's family. We do love it here. The people here have embraced us as their own, and they would love to see us continue in ministry here. I have learned so much during my time at Vintage Faith. I am better for it. I will miss being a part of such a wonderful church community that is passionate about loving the people of Santa Cruz.
I leave tomorrow for a week long service trip with our church to Gleanings for the Hungry (http://www.gleanings.org/) When I get back, I have a few days to finish things out here at Vintage and then pack up our stuff and move. If any people from Redding read this blog, we could use a few hands to unload our stuff on Thursday evening, August 21! (here's a shout out to Trevor C. and Dustin M. for driving with me for my move from Riverside to Santa Cruz...thanks, guys).

14 comments:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

Congratulations! Redding is getting the best.

escamillaweddings said...

congrats, trav!
so exciting!!! you will do an amazing job at simpson.

rev rock said...

Your moving crew will be legit...no doubt!

Casey Angulo said...

Congrats Trav! Sounds really fun.

idiot said...

Count me in for the move. I even know the house, as I moved Troy and fam out of it. You'll have a crew to help unload....it's our specialty.

Kari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kari said...

I am sooo excited for you!!!
You probably don't remember me because I started Simpson as you ended. I went off to Japan for a few years and I have been working at SU again for the last year.
When this position opened, I began to pray. I prayed for someone form the "good days of Simpson College" to come back and help SU to come back to the place it once was Spiritually. Working in Enrollment I show the DVD so often. You are in that DVD so I can tell the current students that the "new guy" is the "old guy" in the DVD.
All that to say, "Welcome Home!!!"

Christina Ellis said...

Congrats Trav! God is so awesome! Redding's getting some graet people!

Pnutservr said...

Congrats Trav and family! Even though we never made it to visit in Santa Cruz, we will try for Redding! Now I know where to push Chelsey to go to college! Back with Trav. She is so excited for you too!

Unknown said...

I'm out of town that night, but am available that weekend and forever after that if there is anything you need...I have a truck and a really strong wife...both of which are stoked to have you in Redding...and so am I.

Wendy said...

I haven't met you yet but I will soon enough since I am Simpson employed--from what I have heard, we are going to be blessed to have you here. Can't wait to see what this school year holds :)

shutterbuggy said...

Wow, congratulations! We are so excited for you guys (and a little jealous)! We love Simpson and they couldn't be getting a better man for the job! Our prayers are with you! I'm trying not to let Bill see your blog too often. Volleyball ... hiking ... Redding ... it would just be too much for him! :) God Bless! Cori

TJ said...

Thats Awesome! We are so excited to have you on campus and for what God is going to do this next year! If you still need help moving we would love to help you guys when you get to Redding! Hit up Dan and he will give you my number.

Dana said...

OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!!!!

I AM SOOO EXCITED THAT YOU GUYS WILL BE IN REDDING!!!!!